Wednesday, January 18, 2012

This one's for Bailey!


Today, both dad and mom left the house! I think this house is great, why would they want to leave? But in the peace and quiet I lay resting and thinking. I had a lot to think about. Last night I received a nice note from Bailey, my dog friend in California.

Bailey, I feel your pain, having to go out at such an hour in the cold! Have you thought of using a litter box? Mine works fine and is cleaned on a daily basis. I even have a subtle citrus-scented device nearby to keep the air fresh and sweet!

You are right about cats. I admit that I do eat and sleep quite a bit, but I am making up for the horror of being on the street, starving, as a youngster. I do some of my best thinking during my naps.

As to finding Dar, I am sure that I will see him at some point, since his parents live with me and he loves his parents.  And Dar claims that he loves me, and will take me back when he has the right living arrangements.

And, yes Dar does like dogs. He likes all animals. He has told me about all of his pets.


The black cat, Samantha, was in residence before Dar was born, and loved to get near him – just out of reach of his tiny fingers. She was as interested in him as he was in her.







I think there was a fish or two, won at a coin toss at the school bazaar fundraiser. I don’t think they were very responsive as pets, but I wasn't here at the time.

Dar once considered having a hermit land crab.  He saved his money and went to the pet store. He wanted to hold one before he bought, and unfortunately, the crab got scared and closed up into its shell, pulling in some of Dar’s soft skin! The salesman told Dar to relax and the crab would come out, and he got control, relaxed and freed his hand, crying the entire time. Needless to say, Dar decided the crab was not the right pet for him.

He once flirted with the idea of buying a ferret, but after many visits to the pet store, observing their habits, he decided that they were a bit wild. And they had big, sharp teeth.


Then came the hamsters:

Rose, the 5th grade class hamster, was born and raised in a family of children so she was used to being held and never bit! When summer came the teacher let her go home with Dar for the rest of her life. She loved classical music and would stop her activity, stand with one paw on the cage, other paw relaxed and listen until the music ended!







And Martin, the Siberian hamster Dar bought at the pet store, who was sweet, small, loved to curl up in the skin of a baked potato, still warm after dinner, and was named after Martin the Warrior!

Mom says she still thinks of the hamsters every time she peels fruits and vegetables!










Emma, the perfect one, lived with Dar for only 13 years, but was a huge part of his, and the family’s life. She was a true family cat. Dar and his mom looked one entire summer, visiting the Humane Center every week, looking at kittens. The volunteer finally told them about a 12-week-old kitten that had been found, starving, and was finally strong enough to have visitors. By then Dar and mom had a lot of experience in reading what a cat was like. Emma played, then mom picked Emma up and laid her on mom’s lap…Emma laid back like a limp noodle and relaxed. Then Dar played with her, and held her. He claimed that she was “perfect!” They signed up to adopt her on the spot, certain that waiting to talk to dad would mean she’d be adopted by someone else! They would not risk losing the perfect cat.






Then came the visits of several rescue dogs, none of whom Emma could tolerate, hiding in closets and refusing to come out, refusing to eat. Dar’s love for Emma sent the dogs back to the rescue groups.

At college Dar rescued several dogs.  First were two Shih Tzus he tried to find homes for only to discover they had left the safety of the back yard. Next was a puppy he took care of and found a home for with the retired next door neighbor. That puppy is now a huge, loveable dog!

Then Dar rescued a black and white cat…I don’t remember its name. He thought it was “the one”, the keeper. But, he soon learned its true nature and found it a good home with two young children.

By then he had already met me, and he realized that I might be “the one”, the keeper. I sure hope he still thinks I’m “the one”, and so do dad and mom.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the story, Chester. Sounds like there have been a lot of pets who where in that large, strange house before you were.

    My people also have had many animals before me: Dogs (Irish Setter, Golden Retriever, Labrador), hamsters, birds, snakes, rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, and lots of those purry-things. Of course, they also have the horses in the backyard. Dad says that it is all because of his interest in zoology -- I think it is because he is really an animal like us at heart.

    I talked about you in my blog today. You can read it here: http://baileysdailyblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/why-i-blog/

    ReplyDelete